NEW DELHI: The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) in association with Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation (MoHUPA) will facilitate skill training to about 1 lakh urban poor over a period of one year.
NSDC said it has signed an agreement with the MoHUPA for providing quality skill training, certification and placement to the urban poor for a sustainable livelihood.
“Through this agreement, NSDC will facilitate training of approximately 1 lakh urban poor in one year by engaging with its training partners and leveraging the existing training infrastructure as per terms and conditions of National Urban Livelihood Mission ( NULM),” it said.
The two parties will jointly monitor the progress of the training and placement of the urban poor.
In NSDC 51 per cent equity is held by private sector and the remaining 49 per cent by the central government
Dilip Chenoy, MD and CEO of NSDC said that more than 20 per cent of the country’s total urban population comes under the category of ‘urban poor’.
“Through this agreement, NSDC aims to facilitate skilling of 1 lakh such people through approved training partners, thereby transforming their lives and eventually minimising the urban poor population in India,” he said.
MoHUPA is implementing Employment through Skills Training & Placement (EST&P) component under the National Urban Livelihood Mission (NULM).
MoHUPA will provide support to the NSDC and its partners in identification and mobilisation of urban candidates to undertake the skill training.
Formed in 2010, NSDC is a not-for-profit company that includes 31 sector skill councils and over 150 training partners with over more than 2,500 training centres spread across 444 districts. NSDC is mandated to skill 150 million Indians by 2022.